Shops and Establishments

shops-and-establishmentsA shop includes any premises where goods or services are sold and includes an office, a store-room, a warehouse or godown. An establishment includes an eating place, a hotel or entertainment place like theater.

Documents needed for a license:

  • As per ‘The Bombay Shops and Establishments Act, 1948’, fill up “Form A“, describing nature of operations, and submit at the License department of the local BMC ward office
  • Submit application with an Undertaking.
  • Fees of Rs 1,400 per annum (depends on number of employees).
  • If rental property, then rent receipt, landlord NOC and rental agreement
  • If owned property, then society maintenance receipts
  • Electricity bill copy
  • Visiting/ Business cards, showing address of the enterprise
  • For partnership firms attach ‘Deed of partnership’ and for private limited firms attach Memorandum and List of Directors with their residential addresses
  • You can also apply on-line and track your application using your Unique Application Number

If you are a Professional like a Chartered Accountant, Advocate, Lawyer or a Doctor (maximum 2-bed clinic), you do NOT need a license, as per a high court order.

Download the Maharashtra Shops and Establishment Act, 2017.

If you are running a trade or a business (not a profession) with customers coming to your premises, which may cause annoyance or nuisance to neighbours, you may need a license. To “change user” from a residential room into commercial, BMC’s permission is required (Maharashtra Rent Control Act, section 30 and also MRTP Act). However if premises are part residential and part commercial, but dominant user is still residential, then there is no “change of user” and a license is not required.

For renewal of the license, please fill up Form B.

If you are making a change, you must notify the Inspector within 15 days of the change. After due inspection, he will issue a new certificate or make a correction to the existing certificate. If you are closing your establishment, then you must notify the Inspector in writing and return your registration certificate.

Other important questions:

  • Does the “Shops and Establishments” certificate have to be displayed prominently in the shop? YES.
  • Does a Visitor’s book have to be made available for officers/ staff from the BMC who come to inspect the shop owner’s premises? YES.
  • Does the signboard of the shop have to have Marathi script? YES.
  • Is it compulsory for a shop owner in Mumbai to keep the shop closed for one day in a week? ACCORDING TO NEW LAWS, NO.
  • Can wages of permanent employees be deducted for the weekly off day? NO.
  • Can the shop-owner choose the day of the week, for which he wants to keep the shop closed? YES. But that day will be either Sunday (Public holiday under the Negotiable Instrument Act, 1881) OR Monday (Zonal weekly off as fixed by BMC, but implemented by S&E Senior Inspector).
  • If the shop owner wants to change the day of the weekly off (from Sunday to Monday or vice versa), does he have to give it in writing to the BMC, during the annual renewal? YES.
  • Is the license fee schedule based on number of workers in the shop? YES. For eg. annual registration fee for shops having 1-5 employees is Rs 300 and for 6-10 employees is Rs 600 and so on.

For further clarifications

Please check with local BMC ward office or with their main office at:

Office of the Chief Inspector – Shops and Establishments
4th Floor, Bhimabai Rane BMC school bldg
Raja Rammohan Roy Marg,
Opp Central Plaza Cinema,
Girgaon, Mumbai 400004
Tel: 23616961