A Domicile/ Residence Certificate is issued to prove that the citizen has been continuously staying in the State for a period of 15 years. A Domicile Certificate can be obtained only in one state and obtaining this certificate for more than one state is an offence. A Domicile Certificate is needed for:
- For admission in educational institutions for Medical, Pharmacy & Engineering Colleges in Maharashtra
- For Driving Badge from Regional Transport Authorities
- To apply for Flat/ Plots from Government Quota
- To apply for Government jobs, where local residents are preferred
The application forms are available at Office of Collector of Mumbai, Ground floor, Single Window, Old Custom House, Fort, Mumbai 400001 (Tel: 22661231/ 22662440. Email: [email protected], [email protected]). (OR) one can download the application form here (OR) one can apply online too.
- Signed application form with Rs 10 court fees stamp, with 2 recent passport size photographs of applicant.
- Residence proof such as Ration card, Bank passbook copy, electricity or telephone bill etc.
- Age proof such as Birth Certificate, School Leaving certificate, Life Insurance copy
- Photo Proof such as Passport, Voter ID card, etc
- All the documents must be attested by SEO / Gazetted Government Officers only in state. All original documents would be needed at the time of submission of duplicate copies.
- Affidavit in prescribed format. Download the sample affidavit here.
Other important points:
- Usually the procedure is completed within 15 days.
- If the applicant is less than 18 years then domicile certificate of father is mandatory
- If born in another state then applicant needs to make an affidavit of leaving their birth-state
- Women not originally belonging to a State/ UT, but married to men who are permanent residents of the State/ UT are eligible to apply for Domicile Certificate, but needs to be supported by marriage certificate.
- The validity period of this certificate is life long
Other locations where application can be submitted:
Resident Deputy Collector
1st Floor, Collector Office,
Court Naka, Thane (West) 400601
Or your local Tahsildar’s office